"Poverty is like punishment for a crime you didn't commit."
(Eli Khamarov is a famous Writer from England.)
Parinaam's UUP Program was launched in September 2009 in a slum in Bangalore, with the aim to tackle urban poverty through a holistic approach. Since its inception and until December 2018 we have worked with about 5335 families across 119 communities in Bangalore.
The programme adopts a sustainable approach to tackle generational and familial poverty. Livelihood is the backbone of our programme, through which we ensure that the beneficiaries are able to earn a steady income. The ultimate aim of the programme is to economically empower the beneficiaries and help them come out of poverty.
The intensive program covers four critical components delivered over a period of 12 months. Monitoring of the families will continue for an additional 12 months on a "as needs" basis. Through Parinaam's UUPP programme, we provide our beneficiaries support in the following critical areas:
- Livelihood Development - improving the income in current livelihood/ helping them start a business/ finding suitable employment/vocational training.
- Healthcare Support - vaccinations, deworming tablets, medical intervention for critical cases and health camps.
- Childcare and Education - enrolling drop out children into schools, creating awareness about the Importance of education, tuition centers for the children and the Academic Adoption Programme.
- Social Support - providing ID and address proof such as Voter ID, Aadhaar Card, Ration Card, Pan Card, Birth Certificate and Labour Card, etc.
- Financial Literacy & Financial Services - Educating them on the importance of savings, opening bank accounts, teaching them how to use the bank facilities such as an ATM, loans from our partner organisation after they graduate .